Your industry news - first Number 1 for Recruitment
We strongly recommend viewing Cleanzine full size in your web browser. Click our masthead above to visit our website version.
BSA 'Responsible Cleaner Scheme' published
On Tuesday the Business Services Association published the 'Responsible Cleaner Scheme' (RCS), for companies working in the contract cleaning sector. RCS members have come together to protect and promote the welfare and development of their employees; to make sure their experience and capabilities are recognised and developed, and to promote the professionalism of the industry itself.
To help achieve these goals, RCS members have signed up to a series of commitments (see below).
The focus of the commitments is on valuing, recognising and rewarding the hard work and dedication of RCS members' employees.
A total of 16 companies have signed up to the RCS, representing over 130,000 employees.
"This is a good commitment by BSA members involved in the cleaning industry," says Mark Fox, chief executive of the BSA. "It represents the seriousness with which they take good practice and professional development.
"I am pleased that BSA members involved in cleaning have come together to initiate and develop the RCS through the BSA."
Martyn Freeman, Managing Director of MITIE's Facilities Management business, chairman of the BSA Cleaning Group, is enthusiastic about the scheme. "This is a fantastic scheme," he says. "It is great that the industry has come together in this way, demonstrating that it values its employees and is dedicated to professionalising further the industry. I am really proud that businesses are working together to help achieve these goals and it is a sign of the direction in which the cleaning industry is heading.
"In large parts, the commitments represent existing good practice - now set out clearly so that employees, clients and wider stakeholders can see the principles which RCS members will abide by. This is a great scheme for the industry and everyone involved in it."
BSA Responsible Cleaner Scheme (RCS) commitments...
* To provide and maintain non-discriminatory equal opportunities within the workforce.
Valuing the Workforce:
* To provide a workplace where all cleaning team members are encouraged, supported and treated fairly, equitably and with dignity and respect, and to ensure that adequate policies and procedures are in place to achieve this goal.
* To ensure cleaning team members have access to a robust and confidential complaints process and that all complaints are dealt with professionally and in a timely manner.
* To provide access to all employees to enable grievances, disciplinary processes, inequality, bullying and harassment support to be sought, covered by appropriate policies and procedures.
Uniforms and Health & Safety:
* To deliver to all cleaning team members appropriate health and safety standards.
* To safeguard and actively promote the health, safety and welfare of cleaning team members.
* All cleaning staff to be provided with suitable uniform and personal protective equipment (PPE) as appropriate.
Payment and Systems:
* To offer appropriate pay and benefits and to make employees aware of the benefits available to them.
* To maintain systems to ensure accurate and timely payment of wages.
Training and Development:
* To ensure that cleaning staff can receive regular reviews where there will be an opportunity to explore career opportunities, training and progression.
* To ensure all new cleaners receive appropriate induction and training to be able to do their jobs.
* To assist other providers, clients and cleaning team members during any transfer process by being open and transparent, with minimal disruption to the employee, and ensuring that employee value is recognised, respected and transferred.
* To enable all cleaning staff to have appropriate consultations during the transfer periodTo provide all cleaning staff with induction to the company they are transferring into.
* To work with clients to ensure employees' dignity and respect is upheld and to improve and promote the status of the cleaning profession.
BSA Responsible Cleaner Scheme: Signatories
* Bouygues Energies and Services
* Compass Group UK and Ireland
* OCS Group UK
* ISS UK
* Kier Group
* Mitie Group
* Pinnacle PSG
* Vinci Facilities
T: +44 (0)20-7822 7424
29th January 2015