Your industry news - first Number 1 for Recruitment
We strongly recommend viewing Cleanzine full size in your web browser. Click our masthead above to visit our website version.
2022 Cintas SHINE Award honours housekeepers who go above and beyond
Cintas Corporation has announced the grand-prize winner and runners-up in the 2022 Cintas SHINE (Star Housekeepers in a New Era) Award. Christine Perkins, a housekeeper at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Cedar City in Cedar City, Utah, won the contest's $5,000 cash grand prize. Additionally, her property will receive a comprehensive product, training and consultation package from Cintas and its contest partners.
"This year's SHINE Award finalists truly embody what a strong work ethic looks like," says Nicole Beall, vice president - hospitality & gaming strategic markets at Cintas. "Housekeepers in the hospitality industry have shown great resilience and dedication to overcome tremendous obstacles the last few years while they have worked tirelessly to provide exceptional service to guests and staff alike.
“In nominating Christine for the SHINE Awards, her general manager, Shallon Engle, noted that Christine is a ‘superstar who has endured a lot’ while remaining committed to her job through the most challenging circumstances.”
Following a Covid-19 diagnosis, Christine suffered a significant stroke that affected her ability to speak, count and read. Because of the severity of her stroke, she was rushed to a hospital in a nearby town - but she still made sure someone alerted her staff so her work at the Holiday Inn & Suites could get done.
Since she received treatment for her stroke, Christine has regained her full ability to speak, and has returned to the property in her role as head housekeeper.
"We received numerous nominations this year and every single entry highlighted the important work that housekeepers are doing, and the positive impact they have on their hospitality properties across the country," Nicole adds. "However, Christine's dedication to the hotel's staff and guests - despite her own life-threatening emergency - made her stand out and we're so honoured to recognise her as this year's SHINE Award grand-prize winner."
The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Cedar City will also receive:
* $2,500 in cleaning & hygiene products and services from Cintas
* A training and development package from the Indoor Environmental Healthcare & Hospitality Association (IEHA), a Division of ISSA, the worldwide cleaning industry association, valued at $3,500
* A package from the Global Biorisk Advisory Council (GBAC), a Division of ISSA, which includes complimentary enrolment in the GBAC Infectious Disease Awareness Course
* A comprehensive product package from Rubbermaid Commercial Products, valued at more than $2,300
The nine runners-up whom each receive a $500 cash prize and additional prizes for their property include:
* Arlene Velasco at Residence Inn and Springhill Suites by Marriott in Fishkill, N.Y.
* Carolyn McCloud at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo in Kalamazoo, Mich.
* Jean Gomez at Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.
* Karen Miller at The Liberty, A Luxury Collection Hotel in Boston
* Maria Bravo at Days Inn by Wyndham Galt in Galt, Calif.
* Olga Fernandez at ARIA Resort & Casino in Las Vegas
* Paula Aguilar at Wylie Hotel in Atlanta
* Traci Poyer at Sandia Resort & Casino in Albuquerque, N.M.
* Victoria Rios at Holiday Inn Morgantown in Morgantown, Pa.
The grand-prize winner and the nine runners-up were selected by a panel of judges that included hospitality expert and television and podcast host Anthony Melchiorri, and representatives from Cintas, ISSA, IEHA, GBAC and Rubbermaid Commercial Products.
24th November 2022