Your industry news - first
Tips on using citric acid cleaning solutions
Citric acid cleaning solutions are gaining more interest in the professional cleaning industry: they are a very safe, environmentally preferable way to clean surfaces, and, being derived from lemons and limes, they promote sustainability.
However, to take advantage of the benefits of citric acid cleaning solutions, sanitisers and disinfectants, cleaning professionals should be aware of the following do's and don'ts.
* It's best not to use citric acid cleaners to clean wood surfaces.
* Citric acid should not be used to clean stone surfaces such as marble and granite.
* Citric acid can be used to clean many types of metal, but not copper or brass.
* Citric acid cleaning solutions should never be mixed with any other cleaning solutions.
With these precautions out of the way, Lee Chen, president and COO of ProNatural Brands, manufacturer of cleaning solutions made from citric acid, says the most common uses of citric acid in professional cleaning are the following:
• Cleaning washroom fixtures. This is especially true in areas with hard water. Hard water can leave calcium and magnesium deposits, which citric acid cleaners can remove.
• Sanitising and disinfecting surfaces. At least one citric acid cleaner is now US Environmental Protection Agency-registered and on the EPA's List-N. It eliminates the pathogen that causes Covid-19.
• Locker room showers. Locker room showers often develop soap scum on walls, tiles and floors. Citric acid cleaners break down soap scum so it can be wiped away.
• Tile and grout floors. Removing grime build-up in tile and grout floors is a constant battle. Apply citric acid and use a soft brush for agitation to wipe grime away.
• Greasy counter tops. Commercial kitchens use citric acid to clean equipment and remove spilled oil and greasy residue. It can also be used to remove grease build-up on stainless steel.
"For the most part, citric acid cleaners can be used wherever a traditional cleaner is used," adds Lee. "Citric acid has a low pH, making it a very safe, sustainable, and effective cleaning solution."
Since its beginning in 2012, ProNatural Brands has developed a full line of 100% naturally derived disinfectants, sanitisers and other cleaning products with patented, citrus formulae for the foodservice, healthcare, education and hospitality industries, as well as for the consumer market. ProNatural Brand's products have been scientifically proven to offer a more effective and a safer alternative for the user's health and the environment.
14th July 2022