Your industry news - first Number 1 for Recruitment
We strongly recommend viewing Cleanzine full size in your web browser. Click our masthead above to visit our website version.
New study shows sustainability boosts bottom line
NTT, a global technology company, has just published the results of a corporate sustainability survey. The report, 'Innovating for a Sustainable Future', found that 44% of those companies surveyed enjoyed improved profitability due to the sustainability programs they have initiated.
The study's participants included corporate executives from more than 500 companies. It was conducted from September 2021 to October 2021.
Among the key findings of the report were the following:
- 69% report that becoming more sustainable is key to their organisation's future.
- 47% said the pandemic elevated the importance of sustainability for their organisations.
- As to the actual financial benefits, 33% experienced reduced operating costs; 24% experienced increased revenue growth, all tied to becoming more sustainable.
- Four out of 10 companies state that customers, employees, shareholders and local communities expect their companies to drive positive change by becoming more sustainable.
"This study is one more indication of the many benefits of sustainability," reports Steve Ashkin, founder of The Center for Green Cleaning and Sustainability (TC4GCS.org).
"Protecting the planet and improving profitability can, and often do, go hand-in-hand."
As to how building owners, managers, and jan/san organisations can develop an effective and potentially lucrative sustainability strategy, Steve offers the following suggestions:
- Form a 'sustainability team' to head the sustainability program and initiatives.
- Set a clear vision of what sustainability is and what it means for your organisation.
- Communicate sustainability goals to all stakeholders. In an office building, this would include building users and tenants. For cleaning contractors, it would include all cleaning workers.
- Select a technology that allows the sustainability team to track, monitor, and report sustainability performance and metrics.
- Look into technologies such as cloud services, AI, and IoT that can help improve efficiencies - and make sure they can 'talk' to each other.
- Consider sustainability when making future business investments and decisions.
- Publicise your sustainability improvements and the benefits derived.
"Long-term, sustainability positively impacts people, the planet, and prosperity," adds Steve. "Everyone likes a winner. Don't be shy about reporting your sustainability accomplishments."
Originally founded in 2006 as the Green Cleaning Network, The Center for Green Cleaning and Sustainability (TC4GCS) is a membership organisation that provides the resources and tools necessary for cleaning professionals, building owners and facilities managers to implement effective green cleaning programs in their facilities and operate in a more sustainability-focused manner.
TC4GCS.org facilitates learning, assists with problem-solving, and promotes the adoption of green cleaning in schools and universities, healthcare, sport facilities, government and commercial office buildings, hospitality and lodging, retail, multi-family, and many other institutional and commercial settings.
3rd March 2022