Your industry news - first
Dubai Mall is first shopping centre to achieve GBAC STAR
The Dubai Mall, one of the largest shopping malls in the world, along with 14 additional facilities around the globe have achieved GBAC STAR Facility Accreditation from the Global Biorisk Advisory Council, a Division of ISSA, the worldwide cleaning industry association.
There are currently more than 3,000 facilities in 66 different countries undergoing the process of earning accreditation.
Newly accredited facilities include:
- Ashford Castle in Cong, County Mayo, Ireland
- Brazilian Court Hotel in Palm Beach, Florida, UK
- Chase Center, home to the NBA's Golden State Warriors, in San Francisco
- The Dubai Mall in Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- The Evelyn Hotel in New York City
- Hotel Amigo, a Rocco Forte Hotel in Brussels, Belgium
- Il Sereno Hotel in Torno, Italy
- Long Beach Convention and Entertainment Center in Long Beach, California
- The Palace Hotel in Tokyo, Japan
- Palm Springs Convention Center in Palm Springs, California
- Phoenix Convention Center in Phoenix
- Rockliffe Hall in Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
- United Scrap Metal in Philadelphia
- Villa Pliniana Hotel in Torno, Italy
- Walter E. Washington Convention Center in Washington, DC
"We're excited to announce the Dubai Mall as the largest facility to date to achieve GBAC STAR accreditation along with these other leading venues around the world," says GBAC executive director Patricia Olinger. "GBAC STAR can adapt to a facility of any size, type, or location, assuring all who visit that it follows the proper practices, procedures and systems to prepare, respond, and recover from the global pandemic-and other infectious disease outbreaks in the future."
With a total internal floor area of 5.9 million sq.ft, the Dubai Mall welcomes more than 80 million visitors each year and is currently undergoing a massive expansion, paving the way to welcome over 100 million visitors.
Several five-star hotels, including the historic Ashford Castle built in the 12th century, have successfully achieved accreditation. The Chase Center joins a growing list of accredited arenas, including the Staples Center in Los Angeles. Plus, the addition of the Long Beach, Palm Springs, Phoenix, and Washington convention centers brings the total number of GBAC STAR-accredited convention centers in the US to 16.
GBAC STAR is the global cleaning industry's only outbreak prevention, response and recovery accreditation for all types of facilities, including retail, stadiums and arenas, hotels, restaurants, commercial, and more. Accreditation ensures a facility has highly skilled and trained cleaning professionals who follow a strict cleaning, disinfection, and infectious disease-prevention program to minimise risks associated with infectious agents such as the Novel Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2).
ISSA Executive Director John Barrett, says: "No matter where a facility is located, GBAC STAR's program elements can help organisations establish cleaning and disinfection practices that help prevent the spread of infectious disease.
"GBAC STAR is truly changing the way the world views cleaning." Image courtesy of Wikipedia
13th August 2020