Your industry news - first Number 1 for Recruitment
We strongly recommend viewing Cleanzine full size in your web browser. Click our masthead above to visit our website version.
Winter building care starts with a sound matting system
With vast areas of the developed world now covered by rain and floodwater, snow and ice, now is the perfect time to review one of the most effective ways to keep unflooded facilities clean and healthy during the Winter months.
According to Dennis Knapp, national sales director for Crown Mats & Matting: "An effective matting system is your best defence against adverse Winter weather, preventing sand, rock salt, moisture and other contaminants from entering a facility... And it should be installed at all building entries, not just main entrances."
According to Dennis, while some building entries may receive more foot traffic than others: "Ultimately, the installation of floor mats is like spokes in a wheel. If one spoke is weak or missing - meaning one entry has no or inadequate matting - it can impact the cleanliness of the entire facility, especially under adverse weather conditions."
Along with installing matting at all building entries, Dennis suggests the following:
* Abide by the 'Rule of 15'. This refers to the installation of five feet of coarse matting outside a facility; five feet of matting directly inside the doors of the facility and another five feet of interior matting as the final line of defence.
* Vacuum: During winter months, cleaning crews should vacuum mats several times during the course of the day.
* Replace: Even with proper vacuuming, mats can become saturated with moisture and soil, which building users will then walk into the facility. Replace mats as often as once a day under very adverse weather conditions or if necessary.
* Deep clean: Mats should be cleaned on a regular basis; the most effective way to clean mats is to use a carpet extractor.
* Purchase: While some rental mats may prove effective, in most cases high-performance matting systems specifically designed to protect a facility during unfavourable weather must be purchased, not rented.
"A janitorial supplier familiar with high-performance matting systems can be a great resource during the Winter months," adds Dennis. "While it may be nasty and icy outside, it can still be clean and healthy inside with a sound matting system in place."
For more than 70 years, Crown Mats and Matting has been a pioneer in the development and manufacture of matting products. Beginning with the invention of walk-off matting by the company's founder, RP Johnson, the company now has what it believes is the most diverse matting product line offered. Crown sells matting through an extensive network of highly trained sales representatives throughout the world. These sales experts are familiar with the features and benefits of all matting systems and are able to help their clients find the right system for virtually any application.
13th February 2014