Your industry news - first Number 1 for Recruitment
We strongly recommend viewing Cleanzine full size in your web browser. Click our masthead above to visit our website version.
Cleaner dies and another hospitalised after cleaning chemical release at US Industrial Park
A 67-year-old cleaner has died after being overcome by fumes from cleaning agents, which Hazmat officials have determined were caused by some type of chemical reaction or release - possibly from a janitor's closet - located in a company staffroom. A second man was hospitalised, but we understand that he has been/is being released.
Beatrice Fire & Rescue personnel were called to Neapco's car component manufacturing facility at Gage County Industrial Park plant, in Beatrice, Nebraska, on Monday morning. The service's chief, Brian Daake, told reporters that the department had received a call saying that CPR was in progress on one man and that another had been taken unwell. There were also reports of a nasty chemical-type smell coming from the staffroom.
The Occupational Safety & Health Administration has since released a statement saying that its premliminary information indicates that the incident occurred while the cleaners were mixing cleaning chemicals.
An investigation is now under way.
15th December 2016