Your industry news - first Number 1 for Recruitment
We strongly recommend viewing Cleanzine full size in your web browser. Click our masthead above to visit our website version.
Golden Service Awards 2013: the results
As a celebration of all that's best about the UK and Irish cleaning industries, the Golden Service Awards are always eagerly anticipated and the 2013 event, held on Friday at the Lancaster London hotel, didn't disappoint.
Organised by Kimberly-Clark Professional in partnership with the Cleaning & Support Services Association - it was simply bursting with excitement and razamatazz from start to finish, from the scantily clad Brazilian samba dancers (male and female, so something for everyone!) and drummers, capoeira performers and the cheers of anticipation as each cleaning company or individual's name that had made it onto the shortlist was read out, to the warm and friendly hosting of the event by BBC newsreader and presenter Kate Silverton. But of course what we were really all there to see, was who'd won...
1. Best Cleaned Premises - Central & Local Government In-House Cleaning Teams: Bradford District Care Trust for the Airedale Centre for Mental Health
2. Best Cleaned Premises - Small Education Establishment: VINCI Facilities for Sinfin Primary School, Derby
3. Best Cleaned Premises - Large Education Establishment: MITIE for Liverpool Community College
4. Best Cleaned Premises - Public Service Buildings: Eurest Services for the Northern Ireland Assembly
5. Best Cleaned Premises - Healthcare Establishment With Fewer Than 250 Beds: Derrycourt Cleaning Company for Laura Lynn Children's Hospice, Dublin
6. Best Cleaned Premises - Healthcare Establishment With More Than 250 Beds: Serco for the NHS Forth Valley Hospital, Larbert
7. Best Cleaned Premises - External Pedestrian Areas and Street Furniture: Interserve FM for Paternoster Square, London
8. Best Cleaned Premises - Individual Retail Establishment: Exclusive Contract Services for Sainsbury's Superstore, Hayes
9. Best Cleaned Premises - Shopping Mall: LCC Support Services for the Grand Arcade Shopping Centre, Cambridge
10. Best Cleaned Premises - Manufacturing: OCS Group UK for Mercedes AMG - High Performance Powertrains, Brixworth
11. Best Cleaned Premises - Transport Terminal: MITIE for Birmingham Airport
12. Best Cleaned Premises - Mode of Transport: Dynamiq Cleaning for Go-Ahead (buses), London
13. Best Cleaned Premises - Hospitality: OCS Group UK for the National Exhibition Centre (NEC), Birmingham
14. Best Cleaned Premises - Office Areas Below 250,000 sq. ft.: OCS Group UK for BUPA, Staines
15. C&M Best Cleaned Premises - Office Areas Above 250,000 sq. ft.: Principle Cleaning Services for the Lloyd's Building, London
16. The Best Specialist Cleaning Company Award: Eden Professional Cleaning Services for Lonza Biologics, Slough
17. The CSSA's Award for Excellence in a Small Cleaning Business: Enhance Office Cleaning
18. The Healthy Workplace Award - Sponsored by Kimberly-Clark Professional: Julius Rutherfoord
19. The Diversey Environmental Awareness Award: Turner Facilities Management for Newsprinters, Knowsley
20. The BICSc Industry Training Award: Turner Facilities Management for Rugeley Power Station, Staffordshire
21. Service Delivery Innovation of the Year: Cape Environmental Services for innovation in North Sea Offshore operations AND OCS Group UK for the National Exhibition Centre (NEC), Birmingham
22. The BCC Site Supervisor of the Year: Angelica Martinez from Principle Cleaning Services for the Lloyd's Building, London
23. The Kimberly-Clark Professional Cleaning Operative of the Year: Joanna Wajda from Derrycourt Cleaning Company for LauraLynn Children's Hospice, Dublin
"It was particularly gratifying to see Joanna Wajda from Derrycourt Cleaning Company win the Cleaning Operative of the Year award and Angela Martinez from Principle Cleaning Services win the Site Supervisor of the Year award," said Robert J. Lowe, Marketing Manager UK & Ireland, at Kimberly-Clark Professional. "Both Joanna and Angela are a credit to the cleaning industry for the hard work and dedication they put into their jobs each and every day. We were also excited to see Julius Rutherfoord win our new Healthy Workplace award for its company-wide efforts to increase employee wellness."
Stan Atkins, Chief Executive Officer at the British Institute of Cleaning Science, added: "Even though the overall winners were announced at the awards ceremony, every finalist in the room deserved tremendous recognition as well. Making it to the finals is something to shout about, whether the outright winner or not."
British Cleaning Council Chairman Douglas Cooke said: "It's always fantastic to see new and old faces honoured for their services to the cleaning industry. The Golden Service Awards celebrate those within our sector who drive up standards, contribute to the quality of life in the United Kingdom through safer public areas and workplaces, and ensure that the cleaning industry's image continues to improve.
"The British Cleaning Council is proud to sponsor the award for Site Supervisor of the Year, which went to Angelica Martinez from Principle Cleaning Services for the iconic Lloyd's Building, London.
"It was particularly pleasing to see so many active members of our industry's associations among those successful. Our congratulations and thanks go to all the winners and supporters of these very important awards."
Over 500 professionals from small, medium and large contract cleaning firms and in-house teams as well as local authorities and hospitals attended the awards ceremony event.
Also in attendance was Gold sponsor Diversey Care, part of Sealed Air, as well as the Ambassador sponsors Cleaning & Maintenance magazine, The British Cleaning Council, and The British Institute of Cleaning Science.
7th November 2013