Your industry news - first Number 1 for Recruitment
We strongly recommend viewing Cleanzine full size in your web browser. Click our masthead above to visit our website version.
BICSc honours UK cleaning industry achievements
Individuals and companies working within the UK's cleaning industry and those providing support services, were honoured at the British Institute of Cleaning Science Annual Awards last Thursday, at an event that also celebrated the Institute's 50th anniversary.
The awards recognise excellence in accredited training and assessment in a number of sectors. Categories and award winners are as follows:
- The BICSc Award for Excellence in Training and Assessment within a Prison... The Institute works with the prison industry to deliver BICSc assessment schemes and training courses and this award is in recognition of training delivery in that sector. The winner was HMP Bullingdon, with runner up, HMP Swansea.
- The BICSc Award for Excellence in Training and Assessment within an Accredited Training Organisation (in-house delivery)... This award is for training developments within an accredited training organisation, which is approved to deliver BICSc assessment schemes and training courses to directly employed staff. The winner was Western Health and Social Care Trust, with the runner up, Gateshead Council.
- The BICSc Award for Excellence in Training and Assessment within an Accredited Training Provider... This is awarded for training developments within an accredited training organisation. The winner was Premiere Products, with the runner up, Cleanwise Training & Management.
- The BICSc Award for Outstanding Student of the Year... Now in its third year, the Student Achievement of the Year Award reflects the achievement of an individual and their award of a BICSc qualification. Students are nominated by an employer, training provider or fellow student, with the main focus being on how the student has been able to achieve an award against adversity or has gone the extra mile to complete and receive the qualification within the workplace. The winner was Mandy Hutchinson, recognised by her employer Firm Security Services.
- The Doreen Heyes Award for Accredited Training Provision within Hospital Trusts... This award is based upon the provision of accredited BICSc training for those working in healthcare, such as hospitals, clinics and surgeries, to provide an industry standard qualification.Doreen Heyes was a past president and Chairman of BICSc during 1973/74. The winner was Western Health and Social Care Trust.
- The Arthur Ayres Regional Award... This is presented to the BICSc region with the largest growth in membership during the year. The Institute consists of nine regions - London & Home Counties; North East; North West; Midlands; Wales; Scotland, South and South West, East Anglia and Northern Ireland. The winner was BICSc Northern Ireland.
- BICSc International Award for Outstanding Performance in Promotion of the Institute... The award is presented to an individual / organisation that have promoted BICSc training and standards outside the UK and achieved recognition of this within the cleaning industry on the international stage. The winner was Rosetta Thornhill - The Institute of Tourism Studies, Malta.
- Eric Hill Medal... This is a key annual award which is awarded for past service to the Institute and is primarily for someone who has made a great contribution to training. The winner was Gary Keenan of Belbclean.
- The Sholom Gordon Award... This is the Institute's premier award which is presented to an individual who has demonstrated outstanding service to the Institute and the cleaning industry. The award was first presented in 1972 by Sidney Gordon and is a solid silver replica of a Columbus Dixon D1 floor machine. The winner is Lynn Webster, BICSc Council and outgoing BICSc Chair.
The celebration also involved a golf day and the winners were as follows:
Winning Team - Derek Lafbery, Pat Little and Mervyn Perry from Zenith Hygiene Group, and Paul Nixon, Birkin Cleaning Services
Best individual - Mike Conroy from Duplex International
Nearest Pin - Mervyn Perry from Zenith Hygiene Group
Longest drive - Deryck Worrall from React of Autoclenz Holdings
29th September 2011